Friday, February 13, 2009

Bennie Thompson and LIHEAP

From Entergy -
Employees of Entergy Mississippi, Inc., community advocates and a struggling single mom were on Capitol Hill recently to tell Mississippi’s congressmen about the urgent need for LIHEAP funds.

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program is the chief resource for the elderly, disabled and working poor who need help paying their gas and electric bills.

“Increased funding is needed for LIHEAP to help the growing number of first-time applicants who have fallen victim to the recession,” said Liz Brister, manager of external affairs for Entergy Mississippi, Inc. “It’s clear that people desperately need the help LIHEAP provides. Parents should not be forced to choose between their thermostat and buying enough food for their children.”

Few understand that better than Victoria Seals of Jackson. A LIHEAP grant helped the mother of two pay her energy bills while she finished getting a college degree.

“At Jackson State University, I was required to complete various volunteer hours to earn my degree in social work,” Seals told reporters at a Capitol Hill news conference. “There just wasn’t enough time in the day for me to meet that requirement, finish school, take care of my children and hold down a full-time job. Without LIHEAP, it would have been impossible for me to finish my internship and graduate when I did,” she said. “It was the first time I’ve needed help like that, and it meant so much to me. It’s not an entitlement program. It gave me the help I needed to get over a serious financial bump.”



Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) of Mississippi’s second congressional district (right) discusses funding LIHEAP with a delegation of Mississippi supporters. They are (from left) Rhonda Perry, Hinds County Human Resource Agency; Liz Brister, Entergy Mississippi, Inc.; Gloria Johnson, Entergy Mississippi, Inc. and Victoria Seals, LIHEAP recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment